Full-stack software developer and team lead
Ruby, Rails, Elixir, TDD, SQL, OOCSS, React, Git, CI
Senior Developer at Lessonly (November 2014–Present)
- Led teams of several developers to deliver major features like commenting and a Chrome extension; involving architecture, estimation, sprint planning, and code reviews alongside my own development.
- Introduced best-practices like CI, linting, performance monitoring, and a coding style guide.
- Contributed to scaling efforts with query optimization and caching.
Senior Developer at Alldayeveryday (January 2013–November 2014)
- Lead developer for styld-by.com, a responsive, internationalized publishing platform for Gap’s global media team.
- Sole developer for Gap’s 2013 online holiday gift guide, an editorialized shopping experience backed by a custom Rails CMS.
- Co-developer of an HTML5 mobile web app for Nike’s Global Media Summit using Rails and Backbone. Features included a live calendar, photo stream, and chat.
Senior Coordinator of Online Projects at CancerCare (July 2009–January 2013)
- Migrated cancercare.org from a bunch of PHP files to a modern, version-controlled web application with a custom CMS built on Rails.
- Designed and built many of CancerCare’s supplemental sites including cancercarecopay.org, cancercareforwomen.org, and myelofibrosisawareness.org.
- Managed two contract developers brought on to help with major projects.
In the Community
- Since moving to Indianapolis, I’ve been an active member and sometime speaker at the Indy.rb Ruby users’ group.
- Founded and organize Indy Elixir, the local Elixir users’ group.
- Volunteer with Railsbridge Indy, teaching Ruby and Rails chiefly to folks underrepresented in the industry.
New York University B.A. in Philosophy & Comparative Literature
- Philosophy taught me how to relentlessly understand and write clearly about complex concepts and systems.
- CompLit taught me how to approach pretty much anything from a variety of critical perspectives.